Monday, August 24, 2009

Illustration Friday: Caution Executive Control Malfunction

I just read Dr. Adam Cox, Ph.D's book No Mind Left Behind. He describes executive control as eight essential brain skills, attention being only one of them. (the terms ADHD and executive control dysfunction are often interchanged but Dr. Cox puts forth that executive control is much more complex than attention and hyperactivity.) But attention is the one I will focus on. There are three faucets to attention: length of time, scope or boundaries, and depth or concentration. I think these three things are important to note in designing illustrations as well. How long will someone need to look at it to understand? What elements do they need to notice? How much of the information will be needed later? (an important consideration in a picture book.)

How does my illustration meet these three questions?

5 comments:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

he he he he! this is brilliant!!!! great job on this Heather!

steve said...

Wow Heather, you went all out on this! Still, despite the complexity of this drawing, you got the message across pretty quickly.

NANCY LEFKO said...

great work...I love all the movement and energy in this piece.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Heather, thanks so much for your very kind words my friend. you will never know how much they have meant to me. I so appreciate talented and creative persons like yourself. you are such an encouragement to me. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Alisa said...

Such interesting questions which compel me to return to my work and check.
And very interesting applying them to your Caution piece, which is almost electrical, and oh so apt!